Monday, October 23, 2006

A very short word about my possible final project

I will probably Blog about my idea for the major project later this week in more detail but, at this juncture, it is thought to be an online database of the research I did for my thesis (I know I talk about it a lot, but hey, it's the only real research I've ever done!!).

Mainly, this consists of all the numbers I collected about the attendance at monthly county court meetings by justices of the peace and the total number of possible justices at any given meeting. I collected a decent amount of data, then had to crunch the numbers manually to get the tables I put in my paper. If I continue that research and extend it throughout the whole century, it will be 3 or 4 times as much data (my thesis covered 1651-1665 with two years not included b/c the records were missing, so doing a study of 1651-1700 or so would be A LOT more and doing it all by hand would be pretty painful). And, once I got it up and running, other folks doing work on 17th century Va. could have access to the data too! Now, the big question is: can I actually do this with my non-existent knowledge of databases???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home